Top 10 Trends Of 2014 | Samantha Jo


The year is winding down now and it's time we do some reflecting. Everyday from now until New Years, I will be posting the Top 10's of the year in entertainment, beauty and music, as well as my life. Today I'm kicking it off with the Top 10 Trends Of 2014 which can include anything from trending topics to fashion to our everyday slang. Let's get into it!

2014 was quite the year for trends. From hashtags to the fashion world 2014 did not disappoint. Let's have a look back at some of our favorite trends.

10. The Boho Girl

It seems as though every store across the world has been inspired by the Bohemian girls of the late 60's and 70's. From bell bottoms to ponchos and bell sleeves and lace, stores like Gypsy Warrior, Free People, and Forever 21 have been reinventing the Boho girl in all their pieces for everyone to enjoy. One things for sure, I have been enjoying the trend and couldn't be more pleased that this look is in style. I always felt inspired by the music of that time to dress as I do and now that it's so available, I feel like I can add a little more to my style. I hope this trend sticks well into 2015.

9. The Booty

I don't think I've seen or heard more songs about booty than in 2014. Nicki Minaj, Iggy Azalea, JLo and the rising Meghan Trainor have all had songs about well, asses. Let's face it we've all been inspired to work a little extra at the gym on our own assets and sometimes even to songs like 'Anaconda', 'Booty', and of course 'All About That Bass'. That way in 2015 we can just bring more booty back. 

8. The Ice Bucket Challenge

Just about everyone and I mean EVERYONE seems to have participated in the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge. In fact, if you weren't doing it, you were about to get nominated for it any second. Of course, if you didn't complete the challenge of dumping a bucket of ice water on your head for ALS, you were still encouraged to donate money to the cause. The challenge was a success raising over $21 million for research on ALS and incredible awareness amongst social media outlets. Congrats!

7. Frozen

If I hear 'Let It Go' one more time I might actually hit someone. The movie 'Frozen' was by far the highest grossing movie this year and something tells me 2015 won't stop it from getting any bigger. From the dolls and soundtrack to the movie with an inspiring message, it's no wonder 'Frozen' was so huge. I won't lie all of Christmas day I was singing 'Love Is An Open Door' thanks to the beautiful Alex and Sierra performance on the Disney Christmas Parade Special. Every morning since I've been praying for snow sining 'Do You Want To Build A Snowman' so I guess you could say I'm a fan also. 2014 was just the beginning for this little franchise.

6. Turnt Up

Don't even act like you never said the term. Maybe not in public but to yourself or even mocking the term. I'm still concerned for our generation after this one. Turnt up has become part of our language and I'm pretty sure it has caused some to forget the actual spelling of the word turned. Whether you Turnt Up in 2014 or not, chances are you're keeping this term in your word bank for a while.

5. Kimye

Whether you love 'em or hate 'em the Kardashians are our pop culture. They're going to be relevant in every moment and now even more since one of the biggest weddings of the year of Kim and rapper Kanye West. I guess you could say they're a match made in heaven as seen in the 'Bound 2' video. They seem extremely in love. The marriage has proven to last longer than Kim's last marriage and I honestly wish them all the best. Oh, cute baby btw!

4. The Top Knot

I myself have still not tried out this cute hair trend, but people from the likes of YouTubers to Kylie Jenner have rocked it this year. The top knot requires you to wear your hair some up some down with the part up, left in a small bun on the top of your head. It comes in many variations some leaving the bun out in a pony tail at the top of the head. No matter how you rock it, it's so 90's and I'm obsessed. Thanks for bringing this one back.

3. Choker Necklaces

My inner 6 year-old was bursting at the seams when this trend came back. I couldn't be more excited to whip out my old tattoo choker necklaces from grade school. I loved it then and I love it now and I sort of refuse to take my choker off. Whoever brought this back, created a monster. You will never take me away from my choker ever again. (Sorry for the dramatics)

2. Taylor Swift

With the release of her new album '1989', Taylor Swift might be bigger than ever. She made the official switch from Country to Pop with this album and I don't think anyone was complaining minus the Swift haters. I used to never be much of a fan myself but, I had always secretly loved a few songs. With '1989', I'm not hiding my love anymore. Hits like 'Blank Space' and 'Style' will be playing at my funeral-- I love them! The album went platinum in its first week of sales; she's done that two more times! Congrats Tay!

1. Bae

I'm still questioning making this number 1 on my countdown. I think I'm making the right decision. I used 'bae' for everything. The term, meaning Before Anything Else, has been used to describe boyfriends, celebs, and even pizza over the year. If bae doesn't make it into the Oxford Dictionary this year, the world may be more corrupt than I thought. Let's just hope they put a pizza pie next to the definition. 

It's a bit lengthy, but this year was huge for all of these trends. These are all memories we will think about for the years to come. Don't worry most of these won't go out of style in 2015 so you don't have to get rid of them once the year is up. What are some of the trends you remember from 2014?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.