Top 10 in Music of 2014 | Samantha Jo xo


As some of you may know, I'm a radio host at my college station, so music is something I pretty much know best. I've premiered countless new songs before they became hits on the regular radio you're all used to listening to as well as some old favorites. 2014 seemed to be a stand out year for the radio's top 40 music, at least for me. I'm so excited to share with you my top 10 picks in music for 2014!


I'm sure you're all familiar with 'No Flex Zone' by rapper Rae Sremmurd. For a few weeks it had annoyed me in the best way possible (I secretly loved the song, it's super catchy!). A few months ago, Karmin released their remix with slam poet and one of the fastest rappers on YouTube, Watsky. I've never loved another remix more. In fact I love this version better than the original. Three cheers for chick rappers.


Leave it to Queen Bey to create my 2014 anthem. This song came in the clutch for both moments of utter beauty and horrid bed head. Nevertheless, this song is fierce, especially with it's rightful prelude 'Bow Down'. 'Flawless' is officially added to my classics list in my iTunes. Hopefully it can inspire me to be a little more 'Flawless' like Beyoncé herself.


It wasn't their biggest hit this year, in fact it was just released off their new album 'Four' towards the end of this year, yet I'm in love! To me, it's like a coming of age classic for them. It's very mature sounding and I feel if you didn't know it was them, you would never know. It just reminds me of memories I haven't even created yet or even ones I have, even if the song wasn't around for them. Is that to sci-fi of you? It just has a feel good vibe I really love and I'm so happy to have heard this when I did.


For the love of all things boy bands with accents, it wouldn't be a countdown for me without 5SOS. They were actually a huge part of my year between their album release and their concert they performed at iHeartRadio (while I interned there), they have creeped their way up to my favorites lists this year. 'Goof Girls' reminds me of those old punk rock songs I listened to in the early 2000's so I held on to this one very tightly (I played it every hour at WCWP). With the recent release of their live album ('LiveSOS'), the Aussie band are off to a huge start to their career. Can't wait to see what they have in store for 2015!


I've been following Jelena for what seemed like eternity and was in complete support of the pop singer and her bad boy counterpart. It was only time that they had a fall out and Selena would go on to make her most beautiful hit to date. 'Heart Wants What It Wants' left me in tears after I saw the video, no to mention after her performance at the AMA's. The song really let's us in to how heart broken she really was and it's very raw. Although it was probably hard I'm so happy she shared it with us this year.


Ed had another huge year, this time releasing his album 'X'. On it was this little gem, 'Thinking Out Loud' and what a beauty it is. It's so simple and romantic, even Peter thought it was sweet (he doesn't have a romantic bone in his body). Leave it to Ed to warm my heart once more. The video is sure to impress yours well. Sheeran even learned how to ball room dance for the sake of the song's video. Thank you, Ed. You've created something no man could ever live up to.


Everyone lower your speakers and plug in your headphones 'cause this one is NSFW. It just wouldn't be a Nicki song without heavy swearing and sexual innuendoes yet for some reason I really love this song. 'Only' goes into graphic detail of Miss Minaj's sex life and whether Drake and Wayne were ever involved in it. I can tell you that they never were but, it's up to you if you care to hear the rest of the details on the sexual tension between the trio. God, help me.


This would be the song to change my perspective on T-Swift forever. You may not know, but I was never the biggest fan of Taylor over the years. Something about her new album '1989' just completely immersed me in the hype. Maybe it was the switch form country to pop or the fact that in this song alone she can shut up all the haters and even bash herself. I feel as an artist, if you can't laugh at yourself, you're only going to feed the haters more. Hearing 'Blank Space' gave me a new perspective on the Pop star and changed my mind about her entirely. She's undeniably talented and worked very hard on this album, reinventing herself. Well done this year, Tay. You even made a new fan.


No other song on the radio this year has moved me as much as 'Take Me To Church'. It has what all the other songs were missing and that was pure, raw, emotion and talent. Of course everyone on the countdown has talent and what not, but this song was different. This song was meant to impact and bring up an issue plaguing an entire planet. Whether you understand the song or not, it creates a feeling inside that only a deep, broody song like this can. It's a shame they have to play a "remixed" version on the radio so people find it easier to listen to. This song is by far the most beautiful on the Top 40 radio right now and it will remain a top favorite of mine forever, I'm sure of it.


Okay so we're gunna pretend that I didn't just go HAM on that last one so I can really go in with Iggy.  Oh Iggy where do I begin. You have slayed the top 40 charts this year starting with this hit right here and I'm so OBSESSED! Iggy had me last year with her song 'Work' and no one wanted to listen to me or the song. Then she releases 'Fancy' and literally killed the charts all summer long. I know a hit when I smell it and 'Fancy' smelled sooo good (too weird?). I had every line memorized in roughly 2 hours and from there on I think we were all hooked. Between the catchy chorus and Iggy's Aussie meets ATL rap style, this one is sure to go down in the books. If Miley hadn't already done it, Iggy came in like a wrecking ball and stole the pop scene show. After this year NO ONE is asking who dat who dat? They already know its the I-G-G-Y and she's here to stay for a very long time.

Hope we can all somewhat agree on my top 10 list of top 40 songs. What did you all think? These are just the songs I've been loving, so of course I gotta know, what songs did you all love this year?

--Samantha Jo xx

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.