Artist On The Rise: Oogee Wawa


What's cooler than being on the beautiful west coast of Florida in the paradise known as Treasure Island? Being on Treasure Island listening to one of Long Island's coolest reggae rock bands Oogee Wawa, who perfectly set the good vibes last night at Treasure Island's CJ's On The Island. Oogee Wawa has been touring Long Island, Florida, and the Virgin Islands promoting their newly released album "More Sand Than Money". I had the pleasure of seeing these guys play while on vacation here in FL and could not have been more impressed. Oogee Wawa brought a high energy performance, all the sounds reminiscent of summer, and some good old Long Island charm.

I've been to quite a few shows at bars before, but never to see a reggae band and I'll be frank, this was quite an experience. Oogee Wawa had the crowd jumping and dancing and practically going insane right from the beginning and to the end. They played for a crowd that was very much into the reggae scene and fans of the band as well. In fact, last night was like their third or fourth time playing Treasure Island according to Oogee's MC, Jesse. Before the show I was thinking, what's a band from Long Island doing all the way down here? Once I walked into CJ's and the band started to perform I totally got it. The scene was thriving on their rocking island vibes and the audience was totally reciprocating the band's vitality. There was so much energy and good vibes flowing all around I couldn't help but be immediately sucked in. With one song from Oogee Wawa I was hooked.


I think what I loved most from them was their ability to capture the audience and keep them entertained with every song. These dudes were playing instruments and singing while jumping all over the stage and the venue. During one song, bassist Chad wound up in the crowd playing bass and dancing with the audience. I'm running out of breath thinking about the madness. The band played so well even for being *slighty drunk. That was even more impressive. In all seriousness, the band produced a bunch of feel good vibes with their songs fusing a mix of reggae, rock, and rap. I heard a serious Sublime influence that was really hitting home with me. It was about 60 degrees the night of the show and with their music I felt immediately transported into that 90 degree Florida summer that I could never get tired of.

I also have to make mention of the utter talent these guys have. At one point in the show, they all did a little swap. The drummer, Nick, switched with guitarist JP to play guitar and do vocals along with Jesse and it just proves that these guys are true musicians and artists. The fact that they can all play each other's instruments (and play them well very well) and sing, mixed with extremely well written songs with catchy hooks and sick harmonies make up all the ingredients for an incredible band. These are real artists. When they played I can tell how passionate they felt about their music and how much fun they were having playing it. They have all the potential to be the next Matisyahu or Sublime with Rome. It's only a matter of time for them.


If there is one thing I love is seeing a hometown band doing amazing things. Long Island has had some short comings in the music scene in the past, but is really making a revival with acts like Oogee Wawa. I mean these guys are rock stars. They write their own music, perform it live and captivate their crowd like any of the greats. They've made an instant fan out of me. They're just fun! I love to come to a show and be entertained. If I'm moving, you've got me. I couldn't stop dancing at their show! Neither could the rest of the crowd and that's 'cause they have talent. They're touring for the next couple weeks, but when they come home to LI, I'll be front row at their next show!

Below you'll find some notable tunes from Oogee Wawa and if you want see if they're heading your way anytime soon check here for the tour schedule!



(Hey cool! This video was shot at the Paramount in Huntington!)

Fun Band Fact: Oogee Wawa means "Cheers" in Zulu

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.